Saturday, September 23, 2017

How did we get here?

Some of them had no clue. They were walking along in life on a different path and somehow ended up walking into an ECE classroom and falling in love. They probably had the thought of "this won't pay the bills" or "I can't make a career out of playing all day". They fought it... maybe even left ECE promising the cosmos that they would never return. But those with the heart of an early educator always come back.

Some people thought this was for them because they love kids...just for clarification... most people love kids. They are cute, they say funny things and they love you with their whole  being. What's not to love? (There is plenty ... I know.) But they realize over their tenure that they, in fact, do not have the heart of a teacher. Their heart belonged to something else ... and that is okay. Because in their time with their kids they left an imprint. Hopefully a positive one that will subconsciously stay with their charges for their lifetime.

And some of us ... well we had no hope. We knew from the time that we were kids that we wanted to be a teacher ... whether it be in EC, Elementary, Middle (y'all have a VIP section waiting for you in Heaven), HS or College. We had a calling in our hearts. We settled in to the knowledge that we would most likely never have fancy cars or huge paychecks, that we would spend a hefty portion of those checks on stuff for our classrooms, schools or kiddos and that our hearts would always be full because of the years and years of students who occupy that space in our souls.

That last one ... that's me. I knew. My parents knew. My brother. My "sister". On my first date with my husband I told him that I would never have a huge paycheck... probably never cross $35,000. I told him if he wanted someone who made big bucks that he should run now...or forever hold his peace. He held it. He is special. I could ramble on about him for an hour ... but the point here is that I never had a chance. I was born to teach.

I like to think that I'm good at it. But I know sometimes I'm not. More often than not though ... I get it right. Because I had great teachers. Some of them were sweet and loving with patient hearts and steady hands. I loved them... still  do. Some of them were grumpy, egotistical, pains in the ass. But they still taught me something. I have been molded and shaped by all the teachers I've had and students that I've taught and I'm still in the process of being molded and shaped. This blog I hope will help me document that change and maybe  it will help inspire someone along the way. Its not always gonna be pretty... and its not always gonna be right but I hope you'll stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment